Friday, August 7, 2009

The Story with Claudia and The Bay Bay

The Story

I've written occasioanlly over the last year about my friend Claudia (the only girl in the P-team photo) and her running success. Today, on NPR and American Public Media's The Story she is featured in a nice interview about the recession and its effect on her running. You can listen to the interview here.


The Bay

I've been meaning to write for quite some time about my last race. I visited the Bay Area to see a friend and hang out, and while I was there I took advantage of being at sea level for a few runs.

I ran a 10kish (I don't think the course was accurate) in 35 minutes and change. I won first place overall, making me 2 for 2 in my 10k races this year. I was hoping to be in the low 34 minute range, but it was extremely hot, I was running alone, and the course was crazy and there is no way it was accurate. I could give a lot more detail, but those close to me have heard me complain enough already. On the plus side, I did meet a few really cool runners. One runs track and XC for Boston College and the other was in the Olympic Marathon Trials with Claudia last year.


The day after the race I worked in a beautiful long run (map of route is pictured) in northwest San Francisco. I ran across the Golden Gate, through Golden Gate park, along the Pacific Ocean and alongside the bay. The hills were plentiful and steep, but still felt like nothing since I was at sea level. Would have been nice to have a friend along for the run, but still a very nice experience. I love the bay area and I want to visit as often as I can.

No comments: