Friday, May 22, 2009

1960

I just finished reading Rome 1960 The Olympics that Changed the World by David Maraniss. I found it really enjoyable. I'm looking forward to visiting Tennessee State University when I next visit my parents as it played an incredible role in the training of a lot of the US track and field athletes in those games.

I'm posting two videos from the games that I find really fun to watch. The first is Wilma Rudolph winning the 200m final. The second is a great old clip of the marathon. It was won by Abebe Bikila, running barefoot under the light of thousands of torches and surrounding ruins from classic Roman architecture. The old film, music, and narration make me imagine that I'm watching this on a reel to reel machine in elementary school.





Here is the author talking about the book.


----

I went to Yosemite yesterday and had a blast. I'll write more about that when I get pictures back. I'm still running, a lot. But not much to share at the moment.

No comments: